I’m about to make a pretty bold statement. Are you ready for it? These are hands-down the best paleo chocolate chip cookies! I’d even say they are just as good or better than your typical chocolate chip cookie made with wheat flour. My husband isn’t usually a huge fan of paleo baked goods, but even he loves these cookies!
If you are familiar with the paleo community and paleo eating, then you have probably heard of Danielle Walker from Against All Grain. She has published three cookbooks, and they are all great. This cookie recipe can be found in her first book.
Danielle Walker’s original cookie recipe called for using almond flour. My family enjoyed eating the cookies that way until I made one change. Instead of using almond flour, I now use cashew flour. Using cashew flour takes these cookies up a notch. I am telling you….they are so good!! My husband requests for these to be made almost weekly. 😉
Cashew flour can be a little hard to find in grocery stores (at least where I live). Amazon has been the best place that I have found to purchase cashew flour. It is a bit pricey, but so worth it for these cookies.
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Yield: 12-15 cookies
1/4 cup palm shortening
1 egg (room temperature)
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups cashew flour
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the shortening and egg to the bowl of a food processor and process until combined, about 15 seconds.
- Add the coconut sugar, honey, and vanilla and process again until combined.
- Add the cashew flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Process until combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and process again if not fully combined.
- Transfer dough to a small bowl, and stir in the chocolate chips by hand. The dough will be sticky.
- Use a large tablespoon or small scoop to portion dough into balls, and place them on your baking sheet. Press each ball down, with damp fingers, to flatten slightly.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, until cookies are golden brown and rotating sheet half way through baking time. Let cook on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from Against All Grain